“MAYDAY” Save Our Services Rally
A MASS rally and march to save services at the Alexandra Hospital is to be held on May 2.
The event, organised by the Save the Alex Campaign, will highlight the plight of the hospital as health chiefs continue to fudge the issue of its future – and everyone is invited to come along and show their support for the hospital.
Matters of concern affecting the future of the hospital include:
1) The resignation of FOUR Accident & Emergency department consultants over fears that the proposed changes to the Alex would leave Redditch, Bromsgrove and Studley without a safe A&E service.
2) The persistent failure of health bosses to publish their views of those proposed changes despite promising to do so back in February. Now publication won’t happen until after the General Election on May 7.
3) The loss of doctor-led maternity services at the Alex and their transfer to Worcester Royal instead.
4) The loss of overnight paediatric services to Worcester leaving parents without a car relying on an infrequent bus service.
5) Fears, voiced by the resigning consultants, that the loss of services would result in less training posts for trainee doctors, reducing cover for care, and effectively turning the emergency department into a minor injuries unit.
“The march will be apolitical, because the health of the people is far more important than politics and I urge everyone who cares about the Alex, including our parliamentary candidates, to join us,” said Neal Stote, chairman of the Save the Alex Campaign.
The campaign is appealing for support and sponsorship to make the rally a success and send a clear message to health chiefs.
The aim is to march from Redditch Town Hall to the bandstand outside the former Smallwood Hospital where a number of speakers have been lined up to address the issue.
“We urge everyone to come along – this is your hospital, your future, your health care,” said Mr Stote.
If you can help towards the costs of staging this event please click here
Thank you for your support
Save the Alex Campaign Team